Describe two (2) symbolic elements of the painting and any other features that stand out to you.
“Van Eyck and Analyzing Art in the Northern Renaissance” Please respond to the following, using sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your response:
- Explain whether you agree with the interpretation of either Sayre or Koster of Van Eyck’s Arnolfini double portrait, identifying the most persuasive part of that interpretation. Describe two (2) symbolic elements of the painting and any other features that stand out to you. Pretend you are having a portrait done of you and a significant other; describe at least four (4) symbolic elements that you might include in the painting, and explain why.
Jan Van Eyck’s Arnolfini Double Portrait
- Henry Sayre’s interpretation in Chapter 16, (pp. 548-551, Figs. 16.7-16.8); review Week 8 Music Folder
- Margaret Koster’s interpretation at http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+Arnolfini+double+portrait%3A+a+simple+solution.-a0109131988
Week 8 Discussion Template
Hello wonderful classmates and Dr. C here is my main post for the Week 8 Discussion “Van Eyck and Analyzing Art in the Northern Renaissance”
My interpretation of the Arnolfini painting is in agreement with . . .
There are only a few things to say here either you:
- Agree with Sayre that the portrait represents a wedding ceremony
- Agree with Koster that the portrait represents an engagement/betrothal ceremony
- The theory that the portrait is a memorial to Arnolofini’s dead wife
Be VERY clear which interpretation you believe, just use one of the above statements
Here’s why . . .
Discuss in some detail WHY you made the interpretation you did, this should be at least 3 or 4 sentences and assess which parts of the painting suggest your interpretation
Symbolism I see in the ‘Arnolfini Portrait’
There is a lot to discuss here, please assess several symbolic elements and then discuss what the symbolism is and why and whether or not you agree with it
Symbolic elements I would put in my own ‘me and my significant other portrait’
Please come up with a few items and then EXPLAIN why they are symbolic for you
Of course once you make your main post, please reply to at least 2 other student posts, thanks
Describe two (2) symbolic elements of the painting and any other features that stand out to you