Case Study in the Exploration of Homeostasis.
When you are given a medical case, what is the first thing that you do? You make an observation. Remember, the first step in pathophysiology is to make an observation of the changes in the tissues, and the general appearance or condition of the patient. This assignment will give you practice making observations about the Case Study in the Exploration of Homeostasis: The Body Attempting to Adapt to the Environment section. You should not conduct any research at this point. It is ok to make mistakes and not be perfect. Just share any initial thoughts you have about it. You are not graded on your expertise. Rather, for this assignment, you are graded on your ability to ask questions and be inquisitive.
You should spend approximately 2 hours on this assignment.
In a post that is a minimum of 150 words, respond to the following:
- What are your initial reactions and observations of the case?
- Mr. Smith was diagnosed with sickle cell anemia. He has an ulcer in the medial side of his ankle. How would the condition of the red cells contribute to what the patient suffers from?
- How would you describe inflammation? How do you recognize that Mr. Smith has an inflammatory response? Is inflammation always bad? Do you know of any white cell disease that reduces our inflammatory response?
- Mr. Smith is allergic to penicillin and iodine. What do you know about allergies? What type of hypersensitivity is it?
- Mr. Smith’s mother had a right radical mastectomy due to breast cancer. How would you define a malignant tumor? How would you differentiate a cancerous tumor from a benign tumor?
- Minimum of 2 reliable sources